Interview with Montgomery

 

Today I had the pleasure to interview the emo-rock duo Max and Patrick from the band Montgomery!


Montgomery is a Toronto based rock band with a classic emo tone that not only has signature catchy riffs but also a genuine DIY vibe and in this interview we got to talk about their newly released song ‘Better Now’ as well as all things pizza and music.



What are your go to pizza orders?


Max: Most of the time I like to keep it really simple, just pepperoni. Or even, just plain cheese. I think that a pizza place is only as good as their plain cheese or pepperoni pizza. I'm not picky though. 


Patrick: I change it up a lot, but love a classic cheese, or a pepperoni, or a pick up special with whatever toppings I'm craving (except anchovies).



What do you two like best and least about being a musical duo?


Max: There's more we agree on as a duo. Through this band's history there were other members, but one of the reasons why there are only two of us now is because we have strong musical and creative chemistry. Ultimately it is more fun playing with a bass player though, and we are still looking for a permanent third! 


Patrick: Yeah, we get along pretty well.  We have since high school.  



In better now there’s a ton of amazing guitar riffs, do you usually find yourself writing the lyrics for a song first or the melody/riffs?


Max: Thank you! Montgomery songs are always conceptualized as guitar riffs / guitar parts first and foremost. However, our songs will never fully develop if I can't think of any cool lyrics / catchy melodies to go with the guitar. Once you think of some decent lyrics and melodies, I find they will direct the song structure and help complete the final product. This is how I do it anyway. 



What does the name Montgomery mean to you?


Max: I would like to pass this question with all due respect. IYKYK!


Patrick: It reminds me of my grade 3 and 4 teacher, Mme. Montgomery. Great teacher!



Favorite artists you’ve been listening to recently?


Max: This past year I've been listening to a lot of FIDLAR, Joyce Manor, the Dirty Nil, Microwave, Turnover, MGK (sorry), Cymbals Eat Guitars... I listen to music all day at work so these are just some highlights. 


Patrick: I just discovered Christian Lee Hutson who I think is really talented. Gerry Cinnamon is excellent. Lil Nas X's debut has gotten a lot of spins too. Also revisiting some artists like PJ Harvey, Superchunk, and Elliott Smith.



If you hadn’t decided to stick to the emo-rock genre, what other genre of music would you have made?


Max: I've played in a handful of bands and if I have some creative input it always morphs into some kind of emo. If it isn't emo, I end up quitting. So I guess I just wouldn't play music if it wasn't this. 


Patrick: I periodically record songs which have more of an indie pop/rock sound.  Something more experimental bordering on noise rock might be fun as well.



You said Better Now was about feeling down  and wasting summers inside, do you have a favorite summer memory?


Max: We spent our teenage years growing up in Mississauga, there's something indescribably nostalgic and lax about summer in the suburbs and I often think about this.


Patrick: Lifeguarding and teaching lessons at different outdoor pools in south Mississauga. Longboarding home from my friend's house on a warm night on the smooth asphalt. 



And lastly a controversial but important question,

Do you think pineapple belongs on pizza?


Max: I don't like it and I won't eat pizza if it has pineapple on it, but I wouldn't take it away from anyone. 


Patrick: Absolutely, if you like it. I love it. Hawaiian is a bomb pizza, and pineapple with hot peppers is a great combo as well. Ranch for dipping.


If you like bands and singers like Set It Off,Darrian Gerard or My Chemical Romance you’ll probably enjoy ‘Better Now’ as well as Montgomery’s other amazing releases!


Montgomery’s Socials

Spotify-https://open.spotify.com/artist/1lXx7Ol5gQd4JAHeWQ8lPS?si=wuY-n-hmQQ-B6L195tcEuA


YouTube-https://youtube.com/channel/UCEmlkb0tf6Ren-R_B_NmBgA


Apple Music-https://music.apple.com/us/album/better-now-single/1580758065


Amazon Music-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09CDVMX73


Instagram-https://instagram.com/montgomery.band?utm_medium=copy_link

Comments

Popular Posts